Dal makhani is creamy and buttery and one of the most love dal, this dal has whole black lentils along with chana dal is cooked with butter and cream and simmered on low heat for the unique flavor,its tastes best with garlic naan or paratha
I will share all my tips and trick to make restaurant-style dal makhani at home with an easy to follow steps
I am using here whole black dal (Malka masoor) with chana dal instead of kidney beans, but you can use kidney beans if you get easily in stores
Tips to Make Best Dal Makhani
- Simmer on low heat for a long time- you will get the best flavors of this dal if you let it simmer for hours on low heat. I understand that we all have busy lives, but if you can, I high recommend simmering the dal for 30 minutes at least. An hour or two is even better.
- Slow cooking enhances all the flavors and makes the dal super delicious and creamy. A lot of restaurants who are known for their amazing dal makhani actually simmer it the whole day.
- Basically, you boil the lentils till they are soft and then you proceed to make the masala and all this while the lentils will keep simmering on medium-low flame.
- Then you add the masala to the dal and let the dal simmer some more. For this recipe, the dal was simmered for around 1-hour and 15 minutes on low heat.
- 2. Be generous with using butter and cream- this is not a recipe to cut down on the fat. The butter and cream are essential for that dal makhani flavor that you love.
- So don’t add only 1 tablespoon of cream and butter if you want that restaurant-style taste.
- 3. Less is more when it comes to using spices in dal makhani- over the years I have tried so many combinations. And finally I have come to this conclusion that dal makhani doesn’t really need any spice!
- I have added 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala but that’s also optional. You can skip it. Other than that there’s only 1/2 teaspoon of Kashmiri red chili powder for the color mainly.
- No Kasuri methi, cumin seeds nothing.
- The main flavors of the dal come from using fresh onion, ginger, garlic, tomato puree, and a liberal amount of butter and ghee. That’s all you need to make a good dal makhani
Preparation of dal:
To prepare dal makhani first soak the dal in the warm water at least for 2 hours
Take all ingredients and prepare all veggies
Making dal makhani:
Drained and soaked lentils transfer to the pot, pour water with powder spices, stir to mix well
Meanwhile, keep stirring occasionally until dal is soft
Add ghee and butter together in a pan, heat them over the low-medium flame, then put onion slices
And fry them till turns a golden brown then add ginger garlic paste and fry them with onion for a minute
Right after adding spices along with a little water_Stir to mix well on medium flame
cook masala with onion for 5 minutes over the low-medium flame, now pour tomato puree to the onion masala, further mix well
Allow to cook them for 5 minutes, put chopped green chilies while cooking masala and then further mix well
Allow cooking another for 2 minutes until oil comes on top
Put all bhagar/tarka to the daal, stir to combine well then add 1/2 cup water to the dal and stir to combine well, allow to cook another 5 minutes until
Dal makhani is ready to serve
Transfer to the dal in the serving dish and garnish with heavy cream, coriander leaves, serve with rice, paratha, and mixed veggies raita.
Dal makhani is creamy and buttery and one of the most love dal, this dal has whole black lentils along with chana dal is cooked with butter and cream and simmered on low heat
- 250g, whole black lentil soaked in the water for 2 hours
- 100g, chana dal soaked
- 1 tsp, Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp, turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp, crushed coriander powder
- 200g, thick heavy cream
- water as required
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp, ghee
- 1/2 cup, tomato puree
- 1 tbsp, onion (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp, cumin powder
- 1 tsp, crushed red chili
- 1/2 tsp,garam masala
- 1 tbsp, ginger garlic paste freshly ground
- 3 -4, green chilies chopped
- 1 tbsp, fresh coriander leaves (for garnishing)
How to make dal makhni?
- Drained and soaked lentil transfer to the saucepan
- Add water, turmeric powder and red chili powder stir to mix well
- Bring it to boil on high flame then reduce the flame to low-medium
- Cover the lid on dal pan cook it about 20 to 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, keep stirring occasionally until well tender
- With the wooden spoon mash some dal for mixing well
- Add ghee and butter together heat them over low-medium flame
- Then put onion slices and fry them till turns to a golden brown then add ginger garlic paste and fry them with onion for a minute
- Right after adding cumin powder,garam masala, crushed red chili powder, and salt along with a little water cook masala with onion for 5 minutes over low-medium flame
- Now pour tomato puree to the onion masala and mix well
- Allow to cook them for 5 minutes
- Put chopped green chilies while cooking masala and then further mix well
- Allow cooking another for 2 minutes until oil comes on top
- Put all bhagar/tarka to the daal
- Stir to combine well
- Then add 1/2 cup water to the dal and stir to combine well
- Allow cooking another 5 minutes
- Then add cream and further stir to mix well
- Let it simmer around 30 minutes further over a low flame
- Transfer to the dal in the serving dish and garnish with heavy cream, coriander leaves
- Served with Rice, paratha, and mixed veggies raita.
*Not be duplicated, rewritten or published without permission- Thank you!