As you know Eid-ul-Adha is upcoming and on eid, everyone makes sweet dishes at their home or buys sweets from the shop I thought should try to make it at home but very honestly I wasn’t sure at all that will be able to make it successfully yet I tried with all hopes and started to make it. Consequently, 4 trials failed which was disappointing. But then I realized my mistake and tried for the 5th time.
Few Useful Tips For Recipe:
- The most important thing is the dough-making process. Do not knead or press too much dough for the perfect recipe.
- I made approx 1-inch diameter and ½-inch thick ball shapes for Balushahi.
- All the procedures were performed by me using my hands.
- I used clarified butter for dough making and ghee for frying to get the perfect traditional taste. You can even use oil
- You can use unsalted butter in spite of ghee for making the recipe.
- Measurement is very important for this recipe. Make sure you take the ingredients in the right quantity.
- If your gas burner flame is not low simmer, then bring the frying pan out of flame in between the frying procedures.
- Sugar syrup – take sugar and water in a pan and cook until the sugar gets dissolved properly. Keep the gas on the simmer gas flame and keep stirring in between. Take syrup on a spoon take a drop on your fingertip and stick another fingertip on it. Now stretch both fingertips slowly. You will see a string will form now. This is the stage we required for Balushahi.
If you have tried this Balushahi Recipe then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on social media to see what’s latest in my kitchen!
Like Our Videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
In a saucepan, add sugar and water, stir to mix well, and cook on low flame until sugar is dissolved continue cooking until the syrup becomes thick. then add the remaining syrup ingredients, stir to combine well set aside
Sugar syrup (sheera) is ready!
Flat the dough with the help of your palm and fold them a few times to form more layers. Shape the dough into a log and cut it into equal parts.
Balushahi is a popular Pakistani-style glazed donut mainly made up of all-purpose flour and ghee. These are flaky and layered in texture
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cardamom crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rose essence
- Lemon juice few drops
- Maida (All-purpose flour) sifted 1 and ½ cups
- Baking soda ¼ tsp
- Jaifal powder (Nutmeg powder) ¼ tsp
- Elaichi powder (Cardamom powder) ½ tsp
- Namak (Salt) ¼ tsp
- Ghee/butter 85g 1/4 cup
- Dahi (Yogurt) whisked 3 tbsp (room temperature)
- Pani (Water) ¼ Cup or as required
- Ghee for frying
- Pista (Pistachio) almonds crushed for garnishing
- In a saucepan, add sugar and water, stir to mix well, and cook on low flame until sugar is dissolved continue cooking until the syrup becomes thick.
- Then add lemon juice, cardamom, and rose water stir to combine well set aside.
- Sugar syrup (sheera) is ready
- In a bowl, put sifter, add all-purpose flour, and baking soda and sift together.
- Add nutmeg powder, cardamom powder, and salt and mix well.
- Add ghee/butter further mix well then add yogurt and mix well until crumbled.
- Gradually add water and mix until combined (don’t over-knead), cover, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Here I used desi butter instead of ghee
- Note: it collected like dough. Do not knead the flour as we only have to mix and collect it. the dough will require very little water. The harder the dough will be, the flakier will be balushahi.
- Grease hands and working surface with oil
- Flat the dough with the help of your palm and fold them a few times to form more layers.
- Shape the dough into a log and cut it into equal parts.
- Take a dough ball, and mash it with your fingers to soften the dough. Then place it between the palms of your hands and roll it.
- Make a deep dent in the center. Prepare all balushahi like this.
- In a wok, add ghee and let it melt, fry the dough on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- After frying, add bhalo shahi in warm sugar syrup (sheera) leave them for 10-15 minutes, and take them out on a serving plate.
- Garnish with pistachio and Almond and serve.